What to do if my husband was assaulted inside a store by a man he had honked at in the parking lot just minutes before?

UPDATED: May 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband was assaulted inside a store by a man he had honked at in the parking lot just minutes before?

The store employees let both men walk out of the store without calling the police, therefore the guy got away. My husband was sent to the hospital with 2 fractured ribs and a punctured lung. If the store isn’t legally responsible for keeping it’s customers safe and the guy got away because the one employee who saw everything admitted he had no idea what to do, does the the financial responsibility for his hosptial charges soley fall on us?

Asked on May 22, 2013 under Personal Injury, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The store is not responsible for the criminal actions of third-parties, like the man who assaulted your husband, any more than you would be responsible if at a dinner party at your house, one guest suddenly attached another. Also, no person or business is obligated by law to call the police or try to restrain attackers. Therefore yes--unless you can identify and sue the person who attacked your husband, the financial burden does, unfortunately, fall on you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption