How can I legally get my husband to take care of us financially?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I legally get my husband to take care of us financially?

My husband has left his family and moved in with his new girlfriend. He willingly gives me $1800 per month but my rent alone is $1200. We have 2 children and 1 is autistic. He is not letting me keep our van. He says I have to get my own vehicle. I haven’t had to work for over 12 years. I have no money and he doesn’t want to pay anymore though he can afford it. He doesn’t want to get a divorce because he knows he will have to pay much more money. Where can I go and what can I do?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that the Judges and the Courts in the state of Colorado try and look to maintain the lifestyle afforded the children during the marriage in a divorce.  Your husband's contribution is set by state law.  He can not just decide what he will pay.  I am giving you a link to the child support worksheets.  The fact that you have one child that is under a disbility will mean that your support for that child may indeed go longer than 18 or the legal age limit there. I am making this sound a little less complex thanh it really may be so I would consider speaking with an attorney as soon as you can to get temporary orders in to place.  If you can not afford a private attorney try legal aid or your local bar association or law school clinic.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption