If my previous employer refused to pay me if I quit without notice?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my previous employer refused to pay me if I quit without notice?

I signed a 9 month contract but got a new job so I left. I worked 11 days and got a payslip to prove this but they refuse to pay me my salary.

Asked on May 1, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

An employer must pay you for all work done up to when your employment terminates, even if you quit without notice, and even if you breached your contract. If they don't, you could file a wage and hour complaint with thw department of labor and/or sue, such as in small claims court.
Be aware that your employer may be able to sue you for any costs they incurred due to a breach of contract. So if, to replace you in your position because you left unexpectedly during your contract term, they have to use a recruiter or hire a temp, they could seek those costs from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption