Can I seek child support or am I out of luck?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I seek child support or am I out of luck?

My “husband” and I have been separated, living at separate address for three years. Cannot afford to divorce, legal separation.

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as you are separate and living apart from your husband, you are entitled to the possibility of child support for your children from your husband. Since you cannot afford an attorney per your question, I suggest that you contact your local legal aid clinic or county bar association if they have a program to assist you "gratis" with respect to your matter including but not limited to a marital dissolution and child support issues.

Another source of help is to go down to your county district attorney's family support office to see if that office might assist you in getting a child support order in effect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption