What to do if my hair straightener blew in my hand and shocked me so badlt that I had to go to the hospital?

UPDATED: May 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my hair straightener blew in my hand and shocked me so badlt that I had to go to the hospital?

I have contacted the company and they asked for pictures but they also want me to send them the faulty device. Do I do this or should I seek representation?

Asked on May 7, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

How badly were you hurt, and how much out-of-pocket (not reimbursed by insurance) did you spend for medical care? Even if the device was faulty--that is, it was designed or manufactured badly, and not that it blew because you had damaged it somehow--the company would only be liable, for responsible for your medical costs, lost wages (if any), and "pain and suffering" if you suffered some significant and at least somewhat long-last (at least a week or so) disability, scarring, chronic pain affecting your life, etc. If you did not spend a lot of money, did not have much in the way of long-lasting effects, and/or did not lose much income, a lawsuit would not be worthwhile, so you may wish to send them the device and see what they offer you. On the other hand, if you did suffer significant injury or incur significant costs (or lose alot of income), you should probably consult with an attorney first.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption