Are there lawyers who will help me through the process of filing for disability?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are there lawyers who will help me through the process of filing for disability?

I had been injured 10 years ago breaking my leg and both sides of my ankle. I have 2 pins in my ankle and a 6 inch plate in my leg. I haven’t been able to work in almost 3 years because of pain in that ankle and leg. I have also been having pain in my knees and back as well. I can’t afford to see a doctor and havent had insurance in over 10 years. How likely is it for me to be accepted for disability with a lack of medical treatment.

Asked on December 18, 2014 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact your local bar association which may have an attorney referral service in order to be referred to an attorney who handles disability cases.  

You will need to have medical treatment in order to provide evidence of your disability in support of your claim.  The attorney is paid out of the settlement of the case.  The doctors can take the case on a lien basis which means they are paid out of the settlement of the case.

If the statute of limitations has expired, your claim will be barred, but you will need to discuss this with an attorney who handles disability claims in order to determine if the applicable statute of limitations has expired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption