If my grandmother’s 3rd husband is executor of her estate and is disregarding her Will, what can we do?

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandmother’s 3rd husband is executor of her estate and is disregarding her Will, what can we do?

My grandmother died 4 months ago after surviving a stroke 5 years earlier. As a result of the stroke she never spoke again and could no longer care for herself. The last time she prepared her Will, she told us how it would be distributed 4 ways: between my 2 aunts, my uncle and myself (as my father died long ago). Last year, her 3rd husband changed something about her estate but didn’t tell us what it was. He is wealthy and has money of his own. My aunt was recently denied access to a small percentage of the money. We still haven’t heard anything about her Will and we don’t know how to proceed.

Asked on April 19, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


Patricia F. Bushman / Bushman & DuBose, LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hire a lawyer.  You will have to go to Court to force him to follow the will.  He can be removed as Executor if he doesn't follow the will.  Has he probated the will yet?  Do you have a copy of the will so you are sure what it says.  There are a lot of questions, but the Court will enforce the will, get the Court involved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption