What to do if my father passed away and my sister wants me to sign a waiver of personal representative’s bond?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father passed away and my sister wants me to sign a waiver of personal representative’s bond?

Also, a renunciation of right to qualify for letters testamentary or letters of administration Do I have to sign these? How am I to get a share from the estate?

Asked on October 8, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  No, you do not have to sign these.  You have the same right as your sister to be appointed as the personal representative and you can request that a bond be in place in case some thing goes wrong. If you choose to sign the forms then you can request she waive her fee under the law. She gets paid.  I would have an attorney review all the documents before you sign anything. And you would get your share when the funds are distributed but the file is an open record you can review.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption