If Iwas put on informal probation in 1 state, how can I complete it in another state?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas put on informal probation in 1 state, how can I complete it in another state?

I was arrested for the first time for DUI in CA while I was in the process of moving TX for work. I was sentenced to 14 days in jail and attend MADD. I took time off for work and completed the jail and MADD there in CA. But now I still have 9 months of alcohol classes to do, but I was told that they need to be done in CA. I need to know if that is true and ask you if I can take these classes here in TX.

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Are you on supervised or unsupervised probation?  In other words, do you report to someone?  Generally, you can complete your probation requirements in another state but you need to apply to the court to do so.  The Probation Department must request that another jurisdiction take control of your case under an Interstate Compact.  Technically you can  not move unless the probation is accepted in the other state (here Texas). But you are in a funny situation because you were in the process of moving, correct? Were you a resident of California or Texas when you were sentenced?  This will matter.  The best thing that you can do is to find a program in Texas that qualifies and is comparable to the programs in California and have the transfer good to go before you apply to probation and the court.  This way it appears as if you are honest in your wanting to fulfill your obligations and that you are moving toward rehabilitation with a job, etc., in place.  You may want to get some legal help on the Texas end in contacting probation or just for information and the California end for putting together the paper work in the best light possible.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption