What are my rights if my employer has suddenly announced that it will no longer subsidize parking?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my employer has suddenly announced that it will no longer subsidize parking?

My company has always had a $100/month parking subsidy (parking in my office is $250/month and there are no safe alternative parking lot options nearby). They’ve just announce that in 60 days there will be no more subsidy, which will cost employees $1200 per year. Is this legal?

Asked on October 30, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Did your employer promise to subsidize your parking indefinitely? For example, via the terms of an employment contract, union agreement or even company policy? Also, does this action constitute any form of actionable discrimination or retaliation? If not, then this policy change is perfectly legal. The fact is that in an at-will employment relationship (and most work arrangements are), an employer can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit or deems necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption