What can I do if my ex-boyfriend registered a car in my name last year and had an accident?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-boyfriend registered a car in my name last year and had an accident?

I found out after he crashed the car. Yesterday I was served papers I am being sued for injury the person sustained in the accident. I did not initially pursue criminal charges against him, should I or is it too late?

Asked on November 30, 2014 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should pursue criminal charges against him: what he did was a crime (e.g. a form of identify theft). Not only are charges appropriate, but pressing charges will help convince the person suing you (or, if not him, the court, if he continues with the lawsuit) that you are not responsible. Then forward a copy of any police report, etc. you file to the other party, with an explanation that this is not your car and you were unaware it was registered, without your consent, in your name, and also provide them everything you have about contacting/finding your ex-boyfriend to show that you are helping them find the resposible party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption