What to do about a debt incurred if I was in an at-fault auto accident about 9 months ago and did not have insurance at the time?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a debt incurred if I was in an at-fault auto accident about 9 months ago and did not have insurance at the time?

Now the attorney from the other party is trying collect a “debt” and says they can have my driving privileges suspended if I do not pay this debt. I’m not being sued and there were no damages to the vehicle with 2 witnesses. How can they have my license suspended over an attempt to collect a debt. I thought that would be a criminal matter that would have to go to court?

Asked on December 1, 2014 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your driver's license won't be suspended for not paying a debt.  It could be suspended for driving without insurance.  Although the laws vary from state to state, the Department of Motor Vehicles can suspend a license for driving without insurance.

As for the debt, if you can't afford to pay it, you might want to consider filing bankruptcy.  If you are eligible to file Chapter 7  which is straight liquidation, this type of debt can be eliminated.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption