If my employer pays for a liability insurance policy for me, does it have any legal claim to any money that I receive?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer pays for a liability insurance policy for me, does it have any legal claim to any money that I receive?

It is in my name and my policy. In the past, all of us who are insured have received refund checks from time to time and have always kept them. This past month I received a check again that was substantial. My employer has asked that we give them the check.

Asked on November 8, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your employer would likely have a right to refund checks, since those are refunds of overpayments or similar events--i.e. they are not the proceeds of a claim against the insurance, but rather are an adjustment to the cost of the insurance. If your employer is paying, it is the one entitled to any such adjustments or refunds. It may have chosen to let people have them in the past (though if it did, those people should have paid taxes on them--it would be considered taxable income to anyone who had not been the payor of the insurance), but is  not obligated to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption