My daughter cashed a payroll check from her old employer who is now 2 months later asking for it back?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My daughter cashed a payroll check from her old employer who is now 2 months later asking for it back?

She is now getting text from this woman all week saying that she did something illegal. Does she need to pay it back?

Asked on November 10, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

While I wish that you had written more here about the facts of the case, from what little you have written I can say generally your daughter has no right to money that is not hers simply because a clerical or administrative error caused it to be sent to her. If she did not realize that she was not entitled to it then the allegation that she did something illegal is unfounded. But I would indeed rectify the matter now that she knows.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption