Can my employer deny my layoff request per doctor’s request for proper treatment?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer deny my layoff request per doctor’s request for proper treatment?

My doctor has typed a letter stating no work until further notice due to an illness since the meds are too strong for me to take while working.However, my employer will not allow early layoff as we are seasonal employees.

Asked on October 21, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your doctor is not an owner or executive of the business and has no authority over it. Your doctor cannot require the employer to lay you off early. You can quit or resign, of course, or use PTO (if you have any) or FMLA leave (if your employer is covered and you are eligible; you can find the rules for PTO on the U.S. Dept. of Labor website) but those are your only options; the employer does not answer to the doctor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption