Was my husband illegally termintated?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was my husband illegally termintated?

My husband was recently hired and worked a week in his new job. He received a call from HR saying he is fired for not disclosing a DUI arrest he experienced 14 almost 14 years ago. He did no know that he had to disclose something that happened so long ago and is not a charge that is pertinent to the position he was hired for.

Asked on October 21, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless your husband had a written employment contract for a defined or set period of time (e.g. a one-year contract) which prevented him from being fired at this time or for this reason, he was an "employee at will." An employee at will has no rights to, guaranty of, or protection for his job, and can be fired at any time for any reason, including some old DUI the employer became aware of. Without the protection of a written contract, this was legal and not wrongful termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption