If my companion and I have lived together for 16 years and have a civil union contract, what are my rights to his house under a beneficiary deed?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my companion and I have lived together for 16 years and have a civil union contract, what are my rights to his house under a beneficiary deed?

He has had dementia for over a year and is now hospitalized. His niece has power of attorney and wants him moved to a full-time care facility. The home we live in is in his name but he had a beneficiary deed made out to me 5 years ago. Am I safe from this niece and her 2 brothers? He has no other relatives and I’m worried that they might kick me out.

Asked on March 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am not passing the buck but you need to sit down with an attorney and bring all the relevant documents with you as soon as possible.  I am hoping that the beneficary deed was recorded and that it was executed when your companion was of sound mind (that may be the challenge by his family).  However, it is not valid until your companion passes.  The civil union contract should indeed afford you some protection under Colorado law but please: go and speak with a lawyer as to what you can do to protect yourself. While the POA of his neice is a concern for you, understand that it can generally NOT be used to transfer real property unless it is specific to that. Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption