What is a certified letter of authority?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a certified letter of authority?

My brother died 3 years ago and had 2 houses. The house thathe lived had nore owed on it than it was worth; now the bank has it. The other house was a rental and he owed back taxes on it. I am the only heir and am the representative of the estate which is still in probate. I had an attorney but cannot afford to continue paying them. I was supposed to receive a certified letter of authority from the court but the attorney still has it in his office. I want to sell the rental. Do the back taxes have to be paid before the title can be transferred?

Asked on April 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, Michigan


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Go back to the attorney to see if he will wait to be paid out of the estate when you can sell the houses. The attorney needs to prepare Letters of Adminisatration to be signed by the court, certified by the court and issued by the court,  so you can have authority to sell the properties; you will need that document for the title company. Taxes will have to be paid out of escrowbebore title can be insured to the new buyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption