What can we do if my boyfriend has been falsely accused of statutory rape?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if my boyfriend has been falsely accused of statutory rape?

My boyfriend is 20, I am turning 16 in about a week. My boyfriend was arrested on multiple accounts of sex with a minor due to videos of me and him on his phone, as well as another girl who testified that they engaged in oral copulation, however she lied about her age to him, and is 14 instead of 17 like she told him so he got numerous other charges due to her age. His bail is currently set at $500,000 and he is facing a possible life sentence. What should I do? Yes all acts were consensual.

Asked on January 29, 2017 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that these acts were not consensual. That's because a minor cannot legally give their consent to engaging in sexual conduct. At this point, your boyfriend needs to consult with a criminal law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption