What to do if my adult ed school has been using expired and not guarenteed steril syringes and needles and allowing students to use them on each other?

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my adult ed school has been using expired and not guarenteed steril syringes and needles and allowing students to use them on each other?

We just recently found out the bag of sharps we’ve been supplied to use have expirations from 3 and 5 years ago and we have been using them for weeks. Is this a legal issue?

Asked on April 30, 2013 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to be examined by a doctor to test if you have contracted any disease from the unsanitary needles.  If you have contracted a disease, file a personal injury claim with the school's insurance carrier.  When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and if applicable documentation of any wage loss.  Your personal injury claim filed with the school's insurance carrier should include these items.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  If the case is settled with the insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the school.  If the case is NOT settled with the school's insurance carrier, you will need to file your lawsuit for negligence against the school prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

If you have not contracted a disease or been injured by the unsanitary needles, you don't have a personal injury claim; however, you should still contact your State Board of Health as well as your State's Department of Education and report this unsanitary practice by your school.  Those agencies, especially the State Board of Health, should take immediate action to stop this unsanitary practice by your school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption