My adult daughter and husband were in an accident and I take care of them. Can I be compensated?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My adult daughter and husband were in an accident and I take care of them. Can I be compensated?

My 23 year old daughter was in an auto accident. My wife was attending school and
had to withdraw which we now have a bill for. We are her main care givers and
because she is not able to walk requires full time care which we give.
The accident was deemed another drivers’ fault for her injuries and she and her
husband have received an offer of compensation from the motorists’ insurance
Is there any provision for compensation for us as parents? Due to having to
withdraw from school and the care we give from the insurance company?

Asked on January 26, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no compensation for you for the care you give your daughter or the effect on your life. That is because in an accident, the at-fault driver is only liable for (and so their insurer might only have to pay for) the "foreseeable" damages or losses--that is, the common logical consequences of the accident. But most times--the vast majority of times--when an adult has an accident, her parents do not have to pay her bills, withdraw from school, etc. That is your choice, and it is commendable in many ways, but it is not a foreseeable consequence for which the other party is held liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption