What are my inheritance rights to my mother’s property?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my inheritance rights to my mother’s property?

My mother and stepfather had land and a house. Mother passed 4 years ago and my stepfather passed 6 months ago. He had 2 kids and his son had power of attorney. My stepfather and mother had a Will but I cannot find it. They both had their names still on the house and land. Am I entitled to any of it?

Asked on June 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may be out of luck.  If the house was owned as joint tenancy with rights of survivorship, then it went to your step dad at mom's death.  If his will does not provide for you then you get nothing.

If he died intestate (without a will) then you may be entitled to something under the laws of intestate succession in the state in question.  Get with an estates attorney immediately to get specific and conclusive advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption