Marriage with an illegal immigrant?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Marriage with an illegal immigrant?

Hi So my fiance and I have been doing long distance for about a year now. I
visited him in his country and then we were happy to find out that he got his
New Link Destination
urist Visa. He came to visit me this summer and after long discussion and
weighing pros and cons, we decided that we should get married. The only thing is
that he has extended his approved duration of stay from his Visa. We aren’t
planning to have the wedding for a while from now but we were wondering if
there’s anyone who was on the same boat as us? Since he overstayed his approved
time, will that affect his ability to get his Green card? Or if anyone has advice
in general, that would be great. Thank you.

Asked on October 17, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As long as he entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry, overstaying the visa should not affect his ability to legalize his status within the US once you are lawfully married.  I would probably also suggest that if you are considering marriage but not ready to have the big wedding now, you can get married in a civil ceremony that gives the basis for the filing and can start the process to enable your future husband to get employment authorization etc.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption