How do I execute a POA?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I execute a POA?

My mother has dementia and it will become necessary sometime in the future to transfer the condo she and I live in to my name. It’s in hers now. I have a POA prepared by an uncle in 1999 who is now a retired attorney, but, he too has dementia, much more severe than my mother. I have one sister who is aware of the situation. I just need to know what steps to take with this POA. Where do I take it?

Asked on December 28, 2010 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If your Mother already has dementia then she can not execute a new Power of Attorney. The old Power of Attorney is probably fine and valid but it really is best for you to make an application to be appointed as the conservator of your Mother's estate.  This would include making decisions not only about her assets but also about her health and medical issues.  It also lets everyone else involved know that you are ding whatever you need to protect her assets and that it is all on the up and up.  I would not suggest transferring anything in to your name if in fact there are other heirs to your Mother's estate.  Perhaps you can discuss creating a trust for the benefit of all and transferring the assets in to the trust.  Seek legal help.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption