Is there anyway to petition the courts to reopen and a juvenile case and reduce the charges?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anyway to petition the courts to reopen and a juvenile case and reduce the charges?

I want to join the military and I have a juvenile felony so I will not be looked at. I was wondering if there are any options to ask the courts to reopen and drop charges to a misdemeanor?

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

One possibility is to consult with a criminal defense attorney to see if the juvenile felony conviction against you can be expunged. If expunged, the conviction for all intents and purposes no longer remains on your juvenile criminal record and you may then have a chance to join our military.

Not all petitions to expunge a pior criminal conviction are granted by the court. The court looks at what the crime was for, how long ago the conviction occurred, the reasons for the desired expungement and what the person has done since the conviction.

As to reducing the charges of the prior conviction to a lesser offense, that cannot be done once the plea and sentence have been carried out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption