Is there anything I can do for being fired or let go because another employee refused to work with me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do for being fired or let go because another employee refused to work with me?

I was hired on to the job and was supposed to be
trained by the current designer. A month went by and
I was forced to just take it day by day with no
training. Almost exactly after a month of employment
my boss sends me a text which lead to a phone call,
needing to ‘run something by me.’ She proceeded to
tell me that another employee, the one who never
trained or really worked with me at all, refused to
work with me. She would not give me a reason or
even schedule a meeting to talk it over. She just told
me to move on. She also texted me that she was
going to lie to the employees and say I went back
into my previous work field. She won’t give me a
chance to fix or even really know what happened,
what do I do?

Asked on March 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You could have been terminated for this reason, any reson or no reason at all. This is called "at will" employment. In such a work setting an employer can place the conditions of work much as it sees fit or deems necessary. This includes who to fire and why. The only exceptions would be if you were treated in such a way as to constitute legal discrimination or if this action violated company policy or the terms of a union agreement or employment contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption