Is there any way that I can separate my credit from my ex-husbands?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way that I can separate my credit from my ex-husbands?

I am recently divorced and I have a mortgage with my ex-husband on his home. He is currently living there and has been late paying the mortgage quite a bit. This of course is adversely affecting my credit. I have had 3 credit card accounts closed and 1 credit card account limit lowered (on accounts that are in good standing that are in my name only) because of his late payments. Is there any thing I can do about this?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I hate to answer a question with a question but what does your divorce settlement say?  You say that he is living in "his home" and your name is on the mortgage.  The ex marital home?  And he got it in the divorce?  was he supposed to refinance?  Did he?  Probably did not qualify.  Now what can you do?  Does your agreement state anything? The only way that you are going to be truly separated financially is to get your name off the mortgage and then start to rebuild our credit.  Read your papers or call your attorney and ask him or her what plan "B" is in this scenario.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption