I want to know if denying my ex-girlfriend access to my storage unit until she pays money owed is a crime.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to know if denying my ex-girlfriend access to my storage unit until she pays money owed is a crime.

Girl was living with me until we broke up. She owes me $1600. She has some personal belongings in my storage unit. I want to deny her access to the storage unit until she pays the money she owes. She wants to involve the police. Is this a matter for the police or is it purely a civil matter.

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No, it can become purely a criminal matter if you try and claim that you have some sort of lien on the property for back rent or to extort the back rent by holding the property.  She can and probably will involve the police and you could get in to a heap of trouble.  The property is not even on the premises you shared.  She could say that you were holding it for her in a bailment and that you have refuses to return it thereby falling under the criminal "conversion" statutes.  Do the best thing for your self and sue her for the money owned.  But give her her stuff. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption