Is there a federal law that allows citizens to be able to make a phone call after being arrested?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a federal law that allows citizens to be able to make a phone call after being arrested?

If so what law?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Montana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is no law that allows a citizen who was arrested for an offense to make a telephone call to advise people that he or she may know that he or she has been arrested.

However, as a matter of custom and practice with all law enforcement facilities, the use of the telephone is allowed so as to let the arrested person contact a third party about his or her wherebouts. By allowing the use of a telephone, law enforcement minimizes additional calls concerning the location of the arrested person by those that know him or her when the arrested person fails to show up at home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption