What to do about a tree encroachment?

UPDATED: May 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a tree encroachment?

We have a 6 foot utility easement to either side of our property line, so that utility companies can access power lines. It appears that my neighbors have encroached by planting large arbor vitae well into our property. We want them removed. What options do we have? How should we proceed?

Asked on May 31, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Have you spoken with them on the matter yet?  The first thing that you should probably do is to approach them and try and amicably resolve the matter.  If that does not work then I might consider consulting with an attorney as to your options and asking an attorney to write a letter for a flat fee requesting removal of the trees.  If that does not work then you may have to bring an action to "quiet title" indicating the encroachment on your land and requesting that the court issue an order to your neighbors to remove them.  Trees and fences always make for litigation issues between neighbors.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption