How can my ex be responsible for my gas bill if Igot it while we were separated and I was in a house that he never lived in?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can my ex be responsible for my gas bill if Igot it while we were separated and I was in a house that he never lived in?

The gas company is saying he is and I am fighting this because I don’t feel that he should be.

Asked on June 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Who was on the account? That's likely the critical question here. The gas company doesn't care about your domestic arrangements or where live; they care about who is on the account and/or agreed to pay the account. If your husband was on the account (e.g. opened either in his name or in both your names jointly), then he would be legally responsible for it; on the other hand, if you were the only one on the account, then it's difficult to see how he would be liable. Not that even if he is liable, nothing stops you from offering to pay the bill or from reimbursing him for the bill, if you think that's right; also, you should, going forward, take steps to get him off the account and not liable, such as by removing his name or closing the current account and opening a new one solely in your own name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption