Can an Ohio employer reduce an employees wages without a notice?

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an Ohio employer reduce an employees wages without a notice?

On 04/12, I submitted a 2 weeks notice of resignation at my place of employment. Upon receiving my most recent pay-stub period, starting at 04/02 and ending at 4/16, I realized that my hourly wages had been reduced. At no point did I receive a notice from my employer of this reduction in wage. Are there laws that protect me? How should I proceed?

Asked on April 20, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They can reduce your wages without your consent, but notice is required: they can only reduce them from the moment you get notice forward--i.e. not retroactively, for work already done. If not told of a reduction, they had to pay you at the rate you had been earning, so since you did not receive notice, they had to pay you you at your prior hourly rate.
Your rights are based on contract law: on the agreement, whether written or oral (unwritten) between you and the employer that you would work at a certain rate or for a certain wage, at least until noticed othewise. You did your part: you did the work. They are therefore obligated to do their part, and pay you the agreed-upon amount. If they did not, your recourse would be to sue them small claims court, for breach of contract, for the additional money they owe you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption