Is my employer aloud to call the ER and tell them that they think I faked a work injury to skip a drug test?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employer aloud to call the ER and tell them that they think I faked a work injury to skip a drug test?

I got injured at work and I looked at the medical records on the BWC website. In a record sent from the emergency room they show that ‘ they received a call from employer and they think the patient faked an injury at work to get out of a drug test’ knowing I was taken to a site that had done a drug tests and was sent to ER from the original medical center for further tests by ambulance.

Asked on October 4, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, any person or entity, including your employer, can call an ER or anyone else and report any suspicions they have: there is no law stating that your employer is barred from contact with medical professionals, ERs, etc. treating you, though such medical professionals are limited by law in what information they can share with or report to the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption