Is it too late to sue my previous employer for back injuries 8 months after I left?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it too late to sue my previous employer for back injuries 8 months after I left?

I still work in the same shop that I did before;it was just bought by another company shortly after I left. My pain and problems started about 5 years ago and have steadily gotten worse over time. The problems stem from standing/bending over a lathe and grinder all day long for 12 years. I have seen a doctor and been treated for this. I paid for it out of my own pocket previously and it is very expensive even with insurance. But the treatment worked for about 1 1/2 years and is now starting to wear off again. I had a nerve block done on my lower back and it worked well but isn’t a permanent fix.

Asked on August 8, 2011 Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your injuries are the direct result of work and you have a physician who will verify this, you need to consult with a worker's compensation lawyer immediately on the issue.

Employers in this country are required to maintain worker's compensation insurance for their employees for work related injuries. If the employer does not, and the injury is work related, there are huge penalties for the employer for such failure.

The issue you raise in your question is really not so much about suing your employer for related work injuries. The issue is whether you have a basis for a worker's compensation claim for a work related injury at this time.

You need to immediately consult with a worker's compensation attorney.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption