Is it realistic that a request to change your name to a nickname such as “Rampage” would be honored?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it realistic that a request to change your name to a nickname such as “Rampage” would be honored?

Asked on July 12, 2010 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

There are legal ways to change your name--if you want to change your name, you can do so. Google "name change" in your state to find the instructions and the government agency invovled. Of course, while that will change your legal name (e.g. for contracts, deeds, bank accounts, etc.), there ultimately is no way to prevent other people from calling you anything they like.

If you mean to "postumously" change your name (I notice that you categorized this as a "Wills, Trusts, Probate" question), speak with a trusts and estates attorney--if may be possible to put a clause in your will that any one who inherits under the will must refer to you as "Rampage" or lose the inheritance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption