My stepfather died and left me $5000 in his Will but my mother and uncle will not give me money, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My stepfather died and left me $5000 in his Will but my mother and uncle will not give me money, what can I do?

I am 33 years old. Is this theft? How can I get my money?  

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Who is the Executor of the Will?  He or she can not just "not give you the money."  It is against the law.  Do you have a copy of the Will?  Have you been served with a Waiver or Citation to appear in Court?  You can go down to the probate court in the county in which your stepfather resided (lived) at the time of his death and review the probate file.  It is public record.  See what the status of the matter is at this point.  See if you can speak with the Judge's Law Secretary as to what you can do to get your issue before the court.  You may have to hire an attorney to help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption