Is it possible to remove my name from a deed if taxes are owed on the property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to remove my name from a deed if taxes are owed on the property?

Approximately 7 years ago, my sister’s fiance hung himself. Since they were not married his family made her purchase the home they shared. We were able to come up with cash to buy the home so there was no mortgage. She asked to put my name on home in case anything happened to her because all of her children were so young. Since there wasn’t a mortgage to default on I agreed. However, now she has not paid school taxes and property taxes are

always late. Of course I’m constantly being served with papers because I’m on the deed. I’ve never lived in the home and want to be removed from the deed because I’d like to purchase my own home. Is there anyway to remove my name with owning taxes and leins on the home for school taxes? Or am I stuck and can’t remove until everything is paid?

Asked on October 8, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can only remove yourself if someone else will buy, at least accept (if you gift it to them), your interest in the deed; that is, you can't just wipe out your interest or share of the property, but it has to go to somoene. If someone else will agree to take it over from you under some terms, then you can get yourself off the deed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption