is a doc probation violation a criminal offense for missing an appointment

UPDATED: May 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is a doc probation violation a criminal offense for missing an appointment

Asked on May 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Probation is a privilege, not a right.  Failure to comply with any of its terms is a serious matter. Aside from the violation itself, in this particular case, the PO doesn't know if you just missed the appointment or whether or not you fled the jusrisdiction.  This could result in a warrant being put out for your arrest.  If you have not already done so, contact him immediately.

As a practical matter depending on your relationship with your PO, the seriousness of the offense you were convicted of, how long you have been on probation,etc this may just be viewed to be a technical breach i.e. violations that do not involve new criminal charges. In this type of situation many jurisdictions allow probation officers to respond to technical violations independent of a court hearing. This enables officers to act quickly and to select mandates/sanctions that are commensurate with the infraction and suited to the individual risks and needs of the probationer. 

Again contact your probation officer immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption