Interested in purchasing property (house and land) from a relative that is in a nursing home. Where do I start?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Interested in purchasing property (house and land) from a relative that is in a nursing home. Where do I start?

My mother is the executor of the estate and does not know whom I need to contact. Any info on how to go about this would be appreciated as well as any info that I need to watch out for.Thanks

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Estate Planning, Idaho


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your mom has power of attorney and is in charge of the ederly person's assets since they are in a nursing home, your mom has the right to make the decision for the owner to sell the property to you.  what you ned to know is that your mom have a fiduciary duty to the elderly person to make sure that the house is sold for a fair market value.  if you mom sell the house to you for way under value, she could be in violation of her duty.  I suggest getting an appraisal of the home and land and using that as a purchase price.  this way the price is fair for all parties involved.  I would have a lawyer representing you and a separate lawyer representing the elderly person (your mom can hire this person).  that way there are no questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption