UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I was leaving my hotel at 4 am and while walking down the stairs I fell and ruptured my quadriicep tendon on both legs. the lights were out and it was pitch dark. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days then I when to a rehah center for 2 months. Now I’m home still dealing with alot of pain. I’m debating weather to sue or just let the hotel pay for my medical bills. If I sue, how much would this case be worth?

Asked on October 25, 2016 under Personal Injury, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Prior to filing a lawsuit against the hotel, it may be possible to settle the case with the hotel's insurance carrier. 
When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in your treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of wage loss.  Your claim filed with the hotel's insurance carrier should include those items.
 Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the hotel's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the hotel's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit against the hotel based on premises liability.
It is not possible to predict how much compensation you should receive because it depends on the medical bills, medical reports and wage loss.  There isn't any mathematical formula for determining compensation for pain and suffering.  It just depends on the facts of the case and the injury documented in the medical reports.  The fact that you are having residual complaints of pain would mean additional compensation compared to someone who had fully recovered.
If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit against the hotel must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights in the matter forever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption