Can an alimony award be modified?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an alimony award be modified?

In my divorce decree it states I have to pay alimony to my ex-wife until she is employed or remarried, whichever comes first. She has been living with a man for 9 years and they have been living off of this support.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances are grounds for a modification of spousal support.  The court forms you will need to file may vary from state to state.  Check with the court clerk to be certain you are filing the required court forms.  You would file an Order to Show Cause (court form) in which you would request a modification of spousal support.  You would also file a supporting declaration signed under penalty of perjury in which you would state the facts in support of your request for a modification of spousal support.  When you file an Order to Show Cause, the court schedules a hearing on this issue.  With the Order to Show Cause and your declaration, attach a proof of service.  You file your documents with the court and serve a copy by mail on your ex.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your documents to your ex.  You can either use a court form proof of service or you can write your own.  If you write your own proof of service, it just says that you are over eighteen and the attached documents were sent via first class mail unless stated otherwise to _____________ (name and address of your ex) on __________ (date).  You sign and date at the bottom.  The date you sign should be the same as the date of mailing and the same date you file your documents with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption