Is an application for citizenship affected if the applicant files a separate instead of a jointreturn?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an application for citizenship affected if the applicant files a separate instead of a jointreturn?

I got residency by marriage to a citizen. After 3 years I got my permanent green card. We filed income tax together every year but the state kept the refund to pay up my husband’s debt for ur last return. This year we don’t want that to happen again so we are thinking on filling separately. What consequences will that incur? Does it matter for when I do my citizenship?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, it should not matter if you file separate tax returns.  Even if you do, you still have to note whether you are married but filing separately, so the fact that you indicate Married is important.  As far as other documentation of your bona fide marriage, if you are asked, you can provide additional documentation that you are still married to the US citizen spouse who petitioned for your green card.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption