Can I get my wife on my application for asylum?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my wife on my application for asylum?

I have recently been granted for asylum in the US. I have 1 year to apply for my green card. I have a girlfriend that lives in Russia. I would like to travel to Russia and get married there and come back and apply for green card as a married applicant. In this case, will she be qualified for green card as well through my application?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First of all, if you got asylum from Russia, you cannot travel to Russia because your status will be revoked. If you indicated that you fear for your life and cannot return to Russia and on that basis you were granted asylum, if you go back, that means you lied. Secondly, assuming you get married to your girlfriend in another country (if she can travel somewhere else and you meet her there and marry her), you will be able to petition for her immigrant visa once you are granted a green card but the wait time will be about 2-3 years. You cannot include her on your green card application because she did not get asylum with you and you were not married to her at the time your asylum status was granted. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption