Can apartner be sued for continuing the business without the other party?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can apartner be sued for continuing the business without the other party?

Partner wasn’t holding up his end of bargain and was dead weight. So I left and continued business on my own. We had no contract but had a partnership business license. Can he sue me?

Asked on April 4, 2011 under Business Law, Utah


Daniel Hamad / Hamad Law Firm, LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Possibly.  You have a duty to the business you were running with him.  That being said, if you legally separated yourself from the joint business, he likely will not prevail.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.  The post is only an opinion.  You should speak to an attorney for further information.  The poster is licensed only in CT & NY.  Please visit for more information about our services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption