If you owned land with your ex-husband and now he’s remarrying, will his new wife have possession of the land?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you owned land with your ex-husband and now he’s remarrying, will his new wife have possession of the land?

We were divorced in 2008, the land was not divided and now I live on the property.What should I do.

Asked on September 20, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the property was not awarded to one party or the other, then you need to file a suit to clear the title into your name alone or to divide the asset.  Until it is declared one or the others, then either spouse can assert an ownership interest in the property.  If you have been exercising sole possession of the house, you may be able to make an additional claim for adverse possession.
With regard to his new wife.... she would not have an ownership interest unless your ex-husband gifted her part of his share.  Because the house was acquired prior to his marriage to the new wife, the house will be considered part of his separate property estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption