Can my parents take away the land they gave me 10 years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my parents take away the land they gave me 10 years ago?

My dad gave me a lot of land. I bought a mobile home
and me and my children have lived there thinking it was
ours for 10 years. My mom and i had a disagreement and
she said i couldnt have the lot anymore . New Link Destination
ld me to
sell my trailer and now me and my kids are homeless.
Can they take back land i was given and have lived on
for 10 Years.

Asked on September 20, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What do you mean by "given"? If they actually put the title in your name, then no, they can't take it back: a gift, once given, cannot be ungiven, and if it was titled in your name (e.g. by a quitclaim deed), it is now your land, not their land, and they have no power over it or right to it.
But it was never quitclaimed or titled or otherwise put into your name, they never gave it to you--it remained their land. In this case, what they did was more express their intentions or plan or something they might do--but intentions are not legally enforceable. If the land was never actually titled, etc. to you, it was never given to you and it is not your land--it's theirs...and if it's their land, they can require you to leave, no matter how long you lived there. (Though if you do not voluntarily go, to remove you, they'd have to bring an action for "ejectment"--basically, eviction for nontenants--in court, which will take several months.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption