If the motion states one fact and the indictment states another fact, can the case be dropped?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the motion states one fact and the indictment states another fact, can the case be dropped?

My boyfriend has a drug case and he just received his indictment papers. The motion of discovery states he sold drugs by “Church A” but on the indictment “Church B” was named. So since the indictment suppose to be a “true bill”. What is the next step?

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there really is no next step--the courts will not throw out a case (whether criminal or civil) because of what is likely a typo or other similar minor, non-substantive error. If this error is pointed out to the court or the other side--which you will have to do to try to challenge it--they will have the opportunity to amend one or another document to correct the simple error.

Should it turn out that prosecution witnessses do in fact disagree about core elements or facts, it may at that point be possible to have the case thrown out--or at minimum, their confusion and disagreement will provide good grounds for cross-examination and damaging their credibility. But that is very likely not the case; this is most likely a mere "editorial error," and those will not result in the case being dismissed, but rather in a chance to correct the error.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption