If charged with DUI but not convicted, will insurance rates go up?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If charged with DUI but not convicted, will insurance rates go up?

My 17 year old son received a DUI under the juvenile offender act, wherein the blood alcohol level is much lower than for an adult – .08 for adults and 02 for juveniles. My son blew a .063 and he will receive probation, fines, DUI classes, and the care program as punishment but will not be convicted for his charges unless he violates his probation. He can apply for expungement in 6 months. Will our insurance go up to high risk due to this being he will not be convicted?

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your son has been arrested for driving a motor vehicle under the influence but he is a juvenile where he will not receive a conviction per se but receives probation, fines and classes where any criminal record will be expunged, most likely your automobile insurance rates will not climb in my opinion.

The only caveat is that if his driver's license has been already suspended by your state's department of motor vehicles, then there is a good chance that your insurance carrier will find out about the reason for the suspension and if so, the insurance premiums will rise.

Hopefully your son has learned a valuable lesson and knows the dangers of drinking and driving.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption