If my driver’s license was suspended in one state, can I be licensed in another?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my driver’s license was suspended in one state, can I be licensed in another?

My license was suspended in WA about 10 months ago. I also was never licensed in WA; I always had a CA

license and just renewed in CA without trouble. Since there were no issues were found when I applied for my license, am I allowed to drive in CA?

Asked on September 27, 2019 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can drive in CA until they notice they made a mistake and suspend or revoke your license (and, of course, they might never notice). All states are part of a "compact," or agreement, that they will respect each other's licensing decisions, so CA should not let you drive in CA if you are suspended in WA. However, until and unless they do that, you can drive in CA, since you are driving on a valid license the state issued you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption