How can I re open a traffic violation case with the municipal court?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I re open a traffic violation case with the municipal court?

I went to court 2 weeks ago because of a
ticket. The violation was failure to maintain
lane. And it resulted in a minor fender bender.
I pleaded not guilty due to the circumstances
and requested a jury trial i was trying to run
away from a road rage cituation. The police
officer did not care at all about that and gave
me a ticket.

At the municipal court, I was told that i would
get another court date within a month or two.
New Link Destination
day I called the court and they are saying 6
months to 2 years before they even get my case.

My problem is that I am in the process of
enlisting in The army and I need this to be
over with to be able to enlist.

What can I do to get my case re opened at the
municipal court?

Thank you for reading


The thing is that I am in the process to enlist
in the army and

Asked on September 26, 2019 under General Practice, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The case is open--you do not need to re-open it. It's simply that due the backlog of cases (i.e. too many violations and other cases; too few judges) it will take 6 - 24 months before a trial date. If you are seeking a trial (not guilty plea) there is nothing you can do about this--that's simply how long it will take in an overcrowded, under-resourced court system to get a trial. Trials take much longer than the court simply accepting a plea and so they have to schedule more time for them; you have gotten in line with everyone else seeking a trial.
If you are willing to change you plea and plead guilty, if doing so will help you, you could likely get this resolved more quickly: again, since accepting a plea takes little time, courts can fit that in much more easily. Contact the prosecutor's office, see what they might let you plea to and decide if that works for you; ask if you agree to accept the plea, can you get an earlier court date to do so; decide if you want to do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption